Sunday, September 11, 2011

Enjoying the Scenery

My dear Adela,

I truly am sorry to have caused you such an inconvenience at the ball, but you know how much I detest the Baron and his family. This is an excursion that I've been planning for a while, but after what his son said to me at the last ball, I knew I had to avoid that family at all costs. I was not planning on departing until late September before his foolhardy comment. Claiming that I am the illegitimate daughter of a stable hand that our parents took in out of pity, really? I do not understand how I am at fault in this situation. I held my tongue at the time and resolved to avoid him from then on. Meanwhile, his behavior was despicable and rude. As for Honorine, perhaps she should try acting less like a child and more her age. I do not think that I have ever met such a childish and immature young lady in my life! Perhaps if she did so, I would be more inclined to be in her presence. However, I have been aware of the fact that I do not fit the mold of a delicate, tittering court lady for many years now. Say what you like, but I cannot find it in my heart to care what those people think. I know that you will argue the importance of the family name, but you and William are both quite upstanding subjects in the neighbors' eyes. And our mother has always said that you were the beauty of the family, anyway. Therefore, I find it difficult to really give a thought as to what those people think of me.

As for my location, I am quite safe for the moment. I regret that I cannot reveal to you my exact location lest someone is sent after me. I also must apologize for not warning you of my journey. Really, Adela, does it seem likely that I would be able to escape the estate if I gave warning of my imminent departure? There is so much to see in this world, but only the men are allowed to see it. I want to explore and see what is beyond our province, Adela. I must say that the weather has been quite pleasant overall and traveling by foot gives one such a wonderful opportunity to take in the scenery. I have made a number of little sketches over the course of the last week. I believe you would be quite impressed that I have maintained such a ladylike pastime.

However, I must bring this letter to an end. The hour is late and I need to rest. You may direct your next letter to the town of Mountehall. I shall be making my way there promptly. Tell Father that I am in good health and spirits. Hopefully, I shall hear from you soon.

Yours truly,
Nadine

P.S. Send Cerise my love as well. Please tell her that I am not sure when I will be able to do so. This is a rather rough and unsettled part of the country. I would send money for her to purchase them herself, but I do not trust the post enough to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment